Thursday 29 July 2021

Over my dead body

   


I will not enter into detailed analysis of the Public Enquiry about the State's failure in fulfilling its duty that could have prevented the assassination of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia (DCG). 

I would just say that I am in general agreement with its conclusions and the need to adopt the recommendations to ensure proper governance at all levels of government.  In particular I agree that ‘business friendly ‘ does not and should not mean undue familiarity between the powers of politics and business.   It should mean the adoption of business friendly policies which get executed with all governance precautions by the permanent executive of the civil service and public corporations.

However I take strong objection to a recommendation on page 434 ( out of a total of 438 page report) where it is stated:

Ġie suġġerit ukoll illi ma kienx hemm lok ta’ kawżi ta’ libelli kontra ġurnalisti jkomplu wara l-mewt tagħhom.

To this I say over my dead body.   I have been libeled by DCG and she caused pain and harm to my reputation and to my career.  My libel case is proceeding at a glacial space.  But I live in the hope that in the end truth will prevail,  so that the allegations DCG made about corruption and money laundering I was accused of having committed in 1997/1998 are proven libelous and untrue. I want no pecuniary compensation.  I seek merely official removal of the slur on my character and personality which DCG, without any evidence, threw upon me just 3 weeks before I was supposed to be appointed Governor of the Central Bank.

Let’s ensure that as we protect freedom of the press, we don’t create injustice to victims when such freedom is abused.


No comments:

Post a Comment