Monday 21 April 2003

A Wider Perspective

21st April 2003

maltastar.com 

 
When crisis hits as it did following the result of the general election one must avoid the temptation to come to quick conclusions or suggest easy solutions. It is time for reflection and deliberation; time to raise oneself above the immediate events and look at things in a wider perspective.
 
 
At a party level the analysis has to go beyond the immediate election result. It must span the whole scenario since 1979 when the party achieved its milestone objective of freeing the country from military basis and adopt a foreign policy anchored on active neutrality.

Since then we have failed to get an absolute majority of votes in five of the six general elections contested. In the only election we managed a majority of votes, events proved that Labour could not manage such majority as it could not organise the whole party behind a post-1979 inspiration.

“If it were possible to rewind and replay time I would not do anything differently from what I did”
In looking towards the future we must above all analyse what objective will unite the whole party behind a new mission that will appeal to the majority of the electorate. We must take maximum opportunity from the fact that the PN will now be in the same position we were in 1979 and is likely to find difficulty in sustaining the inspiration in the post EU-membership phase. Labour must make it its mission to prove that it can do a better job in making the most of opportunities presented by EU membership whilst retaining the maximum possible of the national identity and sovereignty that such membership permits.
 
 
I was equally emphatic on the need to separate the EU issue from the general election and subject it to a specific referendum
On a personal level well-meaning friends say that I should be quite happy with the 3,000 first count votes I mastered over two districts in my first showing even though I was not elected to parliament. Impressive as this may sound it falls short of my minimum objectives and is therefore disappointing. If it were possible to rewind and replay time I would not do anything differently from what I did. What I could have done more to get elected was being more generous with promising all that was asked of me by the constituents. To remain at peace with my conscience I never promised anything beyond doing my best to perform in the interest of my constituents, my districts and my country.

What I think made a real difference between personal success and failure is probably more related to my natural characteristic to speak my mind in a degree of honesty untypical of aspiring politicians. This has exposed me to being branded by competing colleagues as representing a source of potential instability.

This is viciously dishonest and hurts more than the negative result itself. I am by nature an opinion shaper and will instinctively contribute my views up to the point when the organisation takes a formal majority decision. At that point, in spite of personal reservations about decisions taken which may not meet my full satisfaction, I am an active and loyal team player. I believe that in the longer term my own views would converge with those of the organisation whose higher order objectives I continue to uphold in spite of differences on particular issues.

But in instances where the organisation is still in the process of forming its policy on particular issues I was and still am never afraid to put across my viewpoints even when these go against the grain of mainstream opinion.
 
 
“It is against this background that I gain satisfaction from my personal performance at last elections even though I missed the parliamentary seat objective”
It has happened several times in the last legislature. On the need to retain VAT, I was the most emphatic after Labour declared it was reviewing its policy. I was equally emphatic on the need to separate the EU issue from the general election and subject it to a specific referendum. I was just as clear on the need for the referendum to be held in post-election mode and for it to be a truly national and binding decision and not a pre-election political tool. I was the only voice who dared suggest that Partnership did not win the referendum which at best could be labelled inconclusive.

In each and every instance I was proved right by subsequent events and I maintain that if Labour adopted my suggestions at the appropriate time rather than as a late pre-election policy after mind-sets had already concretised, we could have swung the election our way.

In speaking were others conveniently kept silent I saw my popularity growing among the undecided voters but exposed myself to disfavour among the grassroots exploited as these were by competing colleagues who dishonestly projected me as an intelligent rebel.

Now we are all wiser. Whilst my electoral contest attracted new votes to the party, those who were more responsible than I for attracting new votes did little more than protect their personal position by shifting away from me safe Labour votes I had worked for since I announced my contesting the elections in January 2002.
 
 
It is against this background that I gain satisfaction from my personal performance at last elections even though I missed the parliamentary seat objective. I sacrificed my interest for those of the party and can walk with my head up high knowing that I remained totally loyal by deed not just words to the ultimate objectives of the party and the grassroots that have been deceitfully alienated from me.

During this last week I have been inundated with calls from well-wishers urging me to continue with my work in favour of the Labour Party. Many have belatedly appreciated that in all cases I was accused of differing from mainstream opinion I was doing nothing more than trying, in the policy formation stage, to make the party electable.

I wish to re-assure my followers that I will continue to militate within Labour. I just need time to decide whether it is best to do so by remaining the public conscience of the Labour Party, abandoning all electoral ambitions, and using my stature to try to shape Labour’s policy into something more elect-able, or whether, given that the Leader has decided not to seek re-appointment, I would be more useful to the Labour Party in an official position within a new leadership formation. This is a personal decision that needs to be taken calmly, soberly and after deep reflection.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment