Thursday 11 July 2002

Unconditional Loyalty

The Times of Malta", (July 9) speaks about a rift between Dr Alfred Sant and myself.

Whatever differences of opinion we may have, let there be no doubt about my unconditional loyalty to the leader and the Malta Labour Party.

`..a Labour government with a wrong indirect taxation policy will still be a million times better than another PN government with a good indirect tax policy`



I make no conditons for my candidature. On the VAT issue, I have an opinion which has been consistent for years and am pleased to see that there is growing acknowledgement to the fact that for all VAT defects, another change to the indirect tax system would be too economically disruptive at times when there are much higher economic priorities.

The position I made on Net TV was that if the party general conference were to eventually crystallise policies on VAT which are not congruent with mine, then I may not be able to take an active part in the execution of such policies.

I do however maintain that a Labour government with a wrong indirect taxation policy will still be a million times better than another PN government with a good indirect tax policy.

So with VAT or no VAT, Dr Sant and the Labour Party will always have my loyalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment